Ignoring both Democrats and fellow Republicans, Senator Jim Bunning (R-KY) is holding to his guns by preventing unemployment benefits extension from going through. The reason? Funding. All that Senator Bunning wants is for funds from unspent stimulus to be used for the benefits extensions.
Statist Senate Democrats, left-wing media, and leftist bloggers are criticising Bunning for the stalling tactic. Evil Republican Jim Bunning is denying the unemployed their benefits. Perhaps they will blame Bunning for killing unemployed Americans? Statists point to Bunning’s silence during the G.W. Bush years of defense spending and tax cuts, which supposedly added to the deficit [Article - 1. Top Democrats look to shame Bunning on unemployment benefits filibuster | 2. Unemployment benefits end today; extension not approved by Senate].
Here’s where the statists are wrong:
1. The Bush tax cuts increased government revenue. How? Employers could afford to hire more people to work. The fewer people unemployed, the more that entitlements are reduced. The more people who were working, the more tax base the government had. The more tax base the government had, the more tax revenue that was collected.
2. Defense spending is a necessary part of the federal budget. The only part of the budget that is larger than defense spending is entitlement spending [Article - Entitlements Crowd Out Defense Spending, and It’s Only Getting Worse]. The statists who hate the military will never understand, nor recognize that fact. This would also explain their ignorant comments on the defense budget. They tried again and again over the years to defund our military out of existence. Their disdain for the country’s servicemen and women is well-documented. None of them can say they are patriotic Americans and that they support the troops while taking their funding away at the same time. That is something two-faced liars do.
3. The issue at hand is not dealing with defense spending or tax cuts. The issue is how to pay for unemployment benefits. The money for stimulus has already been allocated. Why not use some of those funds for unemployment extensions? This garbage about being against the rules should not be a problem for the current Congress and presidential administration, since they have consistently broken the rules over the past year anyway.
4. Nobody would be talking about extending unemployment benefits if the Obama stimulus would have worked in the first place [Article - 1. Shrinking U.S. Labor Force Keeps Unemployment Rate From Rising | 2. Obama: Stimulus Has Saved 2 Million Jobs | 3. The 'Stimulus' Actually Raised Unemployment | 4. Fact Checking Team Obama's Stimulus Claims].
5. President Obama is a huge fan of a pay-as-you-go system. From his own mouth: Read More…
In a brazen act of defiance against over 50 percent of the American people, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and her fellow leftist statists in the U.S. House of Representatives passed the monstrosity known as H.R. 3962 – Affordable Health Care for America Act [Article - House passes health care reform bill; Vote garners only one Republican].
The snag in the works was getting so-called “moderate” “Blue Dog” Democrats to vote for the “deficit neutral” bill. How did Pelosi get so-called “Blue Dog” Democrats to vote for passage of the bill? There was certainly some arm-twisting that was done by leftist Democrats and President Obama himself; however, by simply inserting a stipulation known as the “Stupak Amendment“, which limits, but does not eliminate coverage and funding for abortions, that’s all it took for so-called “moderate” Democrats to submit an “up” vote.
Never mind the insertion of items that don’t have anything to do with health care reform and that raise taxes on people whom President Obama promised would not be taxed. Never mind that over 50 percent of Americans do not want a public “option” or in other words, government-run health care [Rasmussen Report - Health Care Reform].
Self-serving, hyper-ambitious politicians on all levels of government do not care about the will of the American people. They do not genuinely care about the health and well-being of the American people. They have proven time and again that they are nothing but a group of haughty, arrogant, elitist power and money grabbers with an aristocratic sense of predestinate entitlement.
The next election cycle is only a year away. A lot can happen in a year and those who want to retain their positions of power will do their best (or worst) to pull the wool over their constituents’ eyes in an effort to get re-elected. They know that the memories of the people they claim to represent are short. They are banking on that knowledge because it is a successful time-tested strategy.
So-called health care reform is only one link in a longer chain of enslavement that leftist bosses are forging for America. They are only a couple of links away from completing that chain. After the chain is complete, it will be almost impossible to break it.
What will you do? Will you vote for or against the chain? The 2010 elections should give us an indication.
Yesterday marked the 20th anniversary of the pulling down of the wall separating East and West Berlin in Germany. For the first time, a German head of state spoke before U.S. Congress. German Chancellor Angela Merkel addressed members of U.S. Congress and one of the subjects Merkel spoke about was the need for a global deal on climate change [Article - Merkel meets with Obama, then talks to Congress]. Perhaps a symbolic appeal by Merkel to tear down the climate change “wall” [Article - The European Experience with Cap and Trade]?
With support for cap and trade legislation on the decline, President Obama vows that the United States will play a prominent role in decreasing global greenhouse gas emissions. Obama’s answer to the climate change question is cap and trade legislation.
The Waxman-Markey bill or rather, Taxman-Malarkey bill (H.R. 2998 – American Clean Energy And Security Act Of 2009) is currently in limbo, since health care reform legislation has taken center stage. Beltway politicians have certainly been working behind the scenes on slipping cap and trade legislation through, with very little public scrutiny…so they hope.
If the United States agrees to comply with some sort of global climate change contract in Copenhagen, Denmark, this will surely embolden leftist environut anti-capitalists in America to get climate change-related cap and trade legislation enacted.
If such a bill goes through, it will destroy the American economy, no ands, ifs or buts about it. We think unemployment is bad now, wait and see how high it will be if cap and trade becomes law. In addition, we and future generations of Americans will pay dearly for the taxes, fees and other costs climate change legislation will incur [Article - Leading Climate Scientist: Cap and Trade Could Ruin US Economy | Reference - Treasury Department – Climate Change Bill Could Cost American Families $1,761 A Year]. Read More…
With conservative and moderate Republicans and Democrats being opposed to a public “option” being included in any health care (insurance) reform legislation, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) has threatened to use reconciliation or the “nuclear” option to ram health care (insurance) reform legislation down America’s collective throat [Article - Reid Threatens 'Nuclear Option' to Pass Health Care Reform as Panel Starts Work].
What’s more, a draft of the U.S. Senate’s health care (insurance) reform legislation will not be available for the public to read and research. So much for transparency [Press Release - 1. Bunning Introduces Transparency Resolution | 2. Bunning: Democrats Are Intent On Keeping Americans In The Dark].
There has been talk of passage of a watered-down bill that would leave the way open for any public “option” amendments or other amendments that would receive stiff opposition if they were inserted in committee [Article - 1. Boehner Decries “Phantom Amendments” Added to Senate Health Care Bill After Committee Vote | 2. The Vapor Bill – Congress’ Secret Plan to Pass Obamacare - Update | 3. New plan might allow Dems to slip public option through Senate].
Go ahead all of you power-hungry, self-serving, leftist politicians—force through legislation that the American people don’t want [Article - Reconciliation 101: A "Nuclear" Abuse of Power]. I’m sure most if not all of you know that you are going to be committing political suicide. You claim to care about the wants and needs of the American people. If you continue to defy the will of the people, with elections coming up, the people will show just how much they care about you.