Ignoring both Democrats and fellow Republicans, Senator Jim Bunning (R-KY) is holding to his guns by preventing unemployment benefits extension from going through. The reason? Funding. All that Senator Bunning wants is for funds from unspent stimulus to be used for the benefits extensions.
Statist Senate Democrats, left-wing media, and leftist bloggers are criticising Bunning for the stalling tactic. Evil Republican Jim Bunning is denying the unemployed their benefits. Perhaps they will blame Bunning for killing unemployed Americans? Statists point to Bunning’s silence during the G.W. Bush years of defense spending and tax cuts, which supposedly added to the deficit [Article – 1. Top Democrats look to shame Bunning on unemployment benefits filibuster | 2. Unemployment benefits end today; extension not approved by Senate].
Here’s where the statists are wrong:
1. The Bush tax cuts increased government revenue. How? Employers could afford to hire more people to work. The fewer people unemployed, the more that entitlements are reduced. The more people who were working, the more tax base the government had. The more tax base the government had, the more tax revenue that was collected.
2. Defense spending is a necessary part of the federal budget. The only part of the budget that is larger than defense spending is entitlement spending [Article – Entitlements Crowd Out Defense Spending, and It’s Only Getting Worse]. The statists who hate the military will never understand, nor recognize that fact. This would also explain their ignorant comments on the defense budget. They tried again and again over the years to defund our military out of existence. Their disdain for the country’s servicemen and women is well-documented. None of them can say they are patriotic Americans and that they support the troops while taking their funding away at the same time. That is something two-faced liars do.
3. The issue at hand is not dealing with defense spending or tax cuts. The issue is how to pay for unemployment benefits. The money for stimulus has already been allocated. Why not use some of those funds for unemployment extensions? This garbage about being against the rules should not be a problem for the current Congress and presidential administration, since they have consistently broken the rules over the past year anyway.
4. Nobody would be talking about extending unemployment benefits if the Obama stimulus would have worked in the first place [Article – 1. Shrinking U.S. Labor Force Keeps Unemployment Rate From Rising | 2. Obama: Stimulus Has Saved 2 Million Jobs | 3. The ‘Stimulus’ Actually Raised Unemployment | 4. Fact Checking Team Obama’s Stimulus Claims].
5. President Obama is a huge fan of a pay-as-you-go system. From his own mouth: Read More…
Despite a GOP boycott, Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA), chairwoman of the U.S. Senate’s Environment and Public Works Committee and other Democrats on the committee approved a climate change bill that would require cuts in greenhouse gas emissions by 20 percent over the next decade from 2005 levels [Article – Senate Panel Approves Climate Change Bill Despite GOP Boycott].
In typical overreaching fashion, leftist politicians are attempting to force unpopular economy-killing legislation through. However, there is a silver lining: The bill has passed committee, but it now goes to the Senate floor, where it is expected to die an ignominious death.
This goes along with a previously submitted ACW post, touching on how leftist politicians tirelessly and tenaciously try to further their destructive interests [Reference – German Chancellor Merkel And The Climate Change “Wall”].
To be sure, the battle to force through legislation based on junk science will continue. Without unwavering, steadfast opposition to leftist environmental lunacy, it is a guarantee that climate change legislation will be passed and the suffering of the American people will last for decades.
I thought I hadn’t awakened from my sleep and was still dreaming when I heard that our most highly esteemed potentate and savior of the world, President Barack Hussein Obama, had won the Nobel Peace Prize [Article – Obama says he’ll accept Nobel as ‘call to action’].
President Obama was gracious in his acceptance speech. He had the same feeling of shock and surprise that millions upon millions of people experienced when it was announced that he had won the Nobel Peace Prize. He acknowledged that he was not deserving of the prize and didn’t view the award “as a recognition of my own accomplishments,” but rather as a recognition of goals he has set for the U.S. and the world. Mr. Obama said, “I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many transformative figures that have been honored by this prize.” But, he said, “I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations to confront the challenges of the 21st century.”
What accomplishments? Community organizing? Being a state senator? Performing the duties of a U.S. Senator for the sum total of two years? Talking about hope and change? By transformative figures, I am guessing that President Obama is excluding the late bloodthirsty terrorist Yasser Arafat. It should give us all a warm fuzzy that Obama is accepting the award as a “call to action”. You mean like giving the barbaric Taliban in Afghanistan a role in the government there [Article – Obama Focusing on al Qaeda, not Taliban]? Read More…
With conservative and moderate Republicans and Democrats being opposed to a public “option” being included in any health care (insurance) reform legislation, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) has threatened to use reconciliation or the “nuclear” option to ram health care (insurance) reform legislation down America’s collective throat [Article – Reid Threatens ‘Nuclear Option’ to Pass Health Care Reform as Panel Starts Work].
What’s more, a draft of the U.S. Senate’s health care (insurance) reform legislation will not be available for the public to read and research. So much for transparency [Press Release – 1. Bunning Introduces Transparency Resolution | 2. Bunning: Democrats Are Intent On Keeping Americans In The Dark].
There has been talk of passage of a watered-down bill that would leave the way open for any public “option” amendments or other amendments that would receive stiff opposition if they were inserted in committee [Article – 1. Boehner Decries “Phantom Amendments” Added to Senate Health Care Bill After Committee Vote | 2. The Vapor Bill – Congress’ Secret Plan to Pass Obamacare – Update | 3. New plan might allow Dems to slip public option through Senate].
Go ahead all of you power-hungry, self-serving, leftist politicians—force through legislation that the American people don’t want [Article – Reconciliation 101: A “Nuclear” Abuse of Power]. I’m sure most if not all of you know that you are going to be committing political suicide. You claim to care about the wants and needs of the American people. If you continue to defy the will of the people, with elections coming up, the people will show just how much they care about you.
Max Baucus (D-MT) is enraged at Medicare Advantage provider Humana for exposing language in America’s Healthy Future Act of 2009 that outlines cuts to the Medicare Advantage program. The cuts would affect health care for a large number of American senior citizens [Article – Baucus Bludgeons Humana]. Senator Baucus complained to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and the CMS issued a gag order to Humana. This has also prompted an investigation by the Department of Health and Human Services of Humana for unethical activities [Article – HHS investigates Humana Medicare mailer warning seniors on health overhaul].
This is a blatant attempt to suppress dissenting views and is an egregious abuse of power by Senator Baucus. There are going to be cuts to Medicare Advantage, but Senator Baucus doesn’t want seniors to know about it. Instead of waiting until health care reform legislation is signed into law, after which it would be too late to object to the contents of such legislation, Humana felt obligated to inform its customers on what potentially would arise, if the provisions in Senator Baucus’ bill were to be implemented. In other words, Humana was providing a beneficial service to its customers. What Senator Baucus is doing is disingenuous and presents a great disservice to American seniors. If the good senator is worried about his precious bill being scrutinized and altered beyond recognition, he need not worry because it will be for naught. There are already over 500 amendments on the ready to be inserted into Senator Baucus’ bill.
The CMS-issued gag order is now being called into question and rightly so [Press Release – 1. Camp Demands Answers from CMS on Its ‘Gag Order’ on Those Providing Accurate Information About President’s Planned Medicare Cuts |2. McConnell: End Federal Gag Order on Medicare Cuts].
So far no word from President Obama on whether he will order HHS to cease and desist with their investigation. In view of the other cease and desist orders Obama has given and then taken back, the investigation might as well proceed as scheduled.